If you had told me at the start of this year that we would finish 6th, win a final, and bow out to Geelong in a semi, I would take that.
I honestly did not expect us to make the finals this year, so to perform as we did has exceeded most expectations.
Some highlights of a great building season.
1. Barlow: Fremantles recruiting staff have gone from having the worst reputation to the best. Barlow figured in early Brownlow betting….not bad for a first year player. He will be back better than ever in 2011
2. Other young guns: Hill is developing nicely thank you…no one seems to be comparing him to Rich or Nic Nat anymore. DoBoer has decided that being good looking does not mean you cant be tough and throw yourself into contests. Suban and Broughton are developing into fine young players. Walters has shown more than enough to prove he will be a key player moving forward, helping out the brilliant and hard working Ballyntyne and Mayne.
3. Sandi! : Yes he got injured, but he is without doubt the best ruckman in the AFL, taking marks and kicking well when his confidence is up. A gamebreaker.
4. Winning in Sydney convincingly
5. Winning in Brisbane convincingly
6. Pavlich committing for life. Our most important player played the best he ever has in the first part of this year, he will probably play forward more next year as he is less needed in the midfield, prolonging his brilliant career.
7. Filling stadiums: Freo surpassed West Coasts crowds for the first time ever this year. The Purple Army is a great support for the team, something evident in the game against Geelong earlier in the year, where the noise was deafening, and against Hawthorn in our final…where the support spurred the players on.
2011: I am calling it…the Year of the Docker
Postscript: we need to resign Mundy…he has become a premier midfielder…and for a bloke his size, thats important.