Every week. Sometimes twice a week. Sometimes more if there are funerals or weddings or special events.
Last week I had to prepare two messages and a short thought for a wedding. The week before it was for a funeral.
I am not the sort of Pastor who can reuse material. It just does not seem to work for me. It needs to be fresh. There is a relentlessness about that. But you know, I am not complaining. One of my friends, a pastor, said that God knows we Pastors need Him to prepare messages. Maybe if I didn’t need God in that way, I might neglect Him. As it is, I have to be devotionally and purposefully reading through the scriptures. I also have to meditate and read what others have said.
Either way, the burden can be burdensome, or it can be a joy.
Here are some helpful thoughts from Francis Chan
2. Do I genuinely love these people?
3. Am I accurately presenting this passage?
4. Am I depending on the Holy Spiritâ€™s power or on my own cleverness?
5. Have I applied this message to my own life?
6. Will this message draw attention to me or to God?
7. Do the people really need this message?